AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated Data Scientist, well-versed in the analysis of complex biophysical data, to join our dynamic Biochemistry team.
The successful candidate will interact with a diverse team, liaising between wet-lab scientists, bioinformaticians and software engineers, in a fast-paced and focused environment. The candidate is expected to be able to multitask, problem-solve, think critically and demonstrate scientific rigor.
How you might spend your days:
- Coordinating with different functional teams, including Data Architecture and Biochemistry groups, to develop strategies for data analysis, curation, storage, presentation and interpretation
- Bridging the communication gap between highly technical software engineers and wet-lab scientists
- Building tools on top of existing data infrastructure that increase efficiency of wet-lab scientists
- Building automated analysis pipelines for a variety of data types derived from low-, medium- and high-throughput experiments, including UV-VIS, electrophoresis, analytical chromatography, thermostability assays, mass spectrometry, crystallography and cryo electron microscopy
- Implementing new feature requests and maintaining these tools (typically in Python), ensuring data integrity, correctness and clarity
- Organizing, supporting and collaborating with other team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
- Analyzing and presenting data and methods to colleagues and partners
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about data science and want to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- You work best in fast development cycles, and prioritize the needs of the end-user
- You thrive in a collaborative environment
- You enjoy bringing out the best in your teammates
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment with multiple priorities
- You take pride in being self-motivated, a fast learner, a team player and a creative problem solver
- You can effectively communicate scientific ideas across disciplines and levels of experience
Required qualifications and experience:
- A MSc or BSc in biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics or computational biology (or equivalent) with proven experience developing and shipping software to non-technical users
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Strong understanding of relational databases
- Proficiency in at least one programming language for analysis and data visualization (Python & SQL preferred)
- Background in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology preferred
- Demonstrated ability to create user-friendly software for data analysis and visualization
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to identify key issues and succinctly describe them
- Driven to learn and master new technical skills
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23150 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.