AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 600 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include Process Development and Clinical Manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
The Maintenance and Utilities Engineer will be responsible for implementing a GMP Maintenance and Calibration program, commissioning and start of the support utilities to meet an audacious goal: to go from discovery to fill-finish in a year. You will be given the freedom to innovate and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry.
As a key leader within our GMP Tech Ops organization, you will have the exciting opportunity to build a world class maintenance and calibration program for AbCellera. You will also participate in the implementation of a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) as well lead the start up and commissioning of the utilities supporting the AbCellera GMP manufacturing facility.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You are strongly self-motivated and are able to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You are passionate about building dynamic new teams and capabilities that accomplish important goals
- You have a bias towards innovation over industry standards
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in maintenance and calibration
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
How you might spend your days
- Leading and/or participating in the implementation of a GMP CMMS for AbCellera
- Providing solutions for simple to complex engineering issues encountered during the start-up of the plant utilities
- Working with a project team and third party vendors to develop data to support the maintenance and calibration program
- Working cross-functionally to ensure QC and Manufacturing utility needs are met as well as input on operations schedules based on utility capabilities.Ensure an accurate model of utility capabilities is developed and maintained
- Training and mentoring the maintenance and calibration team
- Evaluating and developing new technologies to improve processes, leveraging data science and AI
- Preparing instructional materials, SOPs and Quality Standards
- Continuously driving improvements to the established processes, increasing speed and efficiency while meeting regulatory requirements
- Organizing and planning work in manufacturing shutdown windows
- Acting as the system owner of all the clean utilities (WFI, HVAC, boiler and clean glasses)
Required qualifications and experience
- A total of 10+ years of industry experience with a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or similar. Strong candidates with BS or MS degrees may be considered with sufficient utilities and maintenance and/or leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and running best practices for GMP utilities and maintenance in a pharmaceutical plant. Demonstrated productive interactions with regulatory agencies and health authorities
- Experience working within and setting up a CMMS program
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of data
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.