AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing technology company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that can be developed into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of biology, chemistry, computation, and engineering, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of drug discovery with a platform that integrates modern technologies from biotechnology, engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Research Scientist who is looking for opportunities in a fast-paced protein science organization that is focused on identifying lead therapeutic antibody molecules for clinical development. We are seeking individuals who bring an in-depth understanding of antibody behaviour, drug development, and the tools used to characterize biologics, such as analytical chromatography, isoelectric focusing, capillary electrophoresis, and light scattering to drive lead selection for clinical development. Ideal candidates will be motivated by an opportunity to collaborate with teams from across the organization including early discovery, translational sciences, pre-clinical development, and CMC, to build a fully integrated next generation antibody drug discovery platform that can rapidly turn biological hypothesis into a therapeutic lead molecule that is ready for clinical testing.
We’re offering a generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our facilities are nestled in the heart of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, and we will enthusiastically support you and your family to relocate to this amazing area!
How you might spend your days:
- Providing technical leadership in antibody characterization, developability and manufacturability
- Supporting antibody production and quality control with analytical characterization tools including chromatography (UHPLC), capillary electrophoresis (CE-SDS), and light scattering (DLS, MALS)
- Performing workflows to assess the developability of panels of 10-12 antibody candidates. This includes stability studies, forced degradation studies, differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), viscosity, and colloidal stability
- Analyzing and assembling datasets from from multiple assays and multiple conditions to assess developability risk and drive lead candidate selection
- Training and mentoring members of a rapidly growing, dynamic team
- Liaising with partners, upstream and downstream teams, and communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing new and cutting edge workflows for analytical and biophysical screening of antibody properties
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies and opportunities to improve antibody characterization workflow and process
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Structural Biology, with an additional 2+ years of relevant experience in the biopharma or biotechnology industries. Candidates with an MSc degree and 5+ years of relevant experience will also be considered
- In-depth understanding of antibody sequences and structure, as well as common modifications and degradation mechanisms
- Demonstrated expertise in biophysical characterization of antibodies or other protein therapeutics using analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, light scattering, differential scanning fluorimetry, or related techniques
- Comfort with electronic lab notebook environments, and laboratory information and inventory management systems
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Impeccable attention to detail, excellent communication, documentation and technical writing skills
- Excellent decision-making, and troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with antibody binding and other mechanistic data from SPR or related technologies is an advantage
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23120 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.