AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing technology company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that can be developed into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of biology, chemistry, computation, and engineering, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of drug discovery with a platform that integrates modern technologies from biotechnology, engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Associate Director who is looking for opportunities in a fast paced protein science organization that is focused on identifying lead therapeutic antibody molecules for clinical development. We are seeking individuals who bring exceptional skills in biosensor based protein binding studies, leadership in biotherapeutic drug discovery, and innovative ideas for the building of teams and processes to rapidly sort through thousands of potential candidate molecules to identify the most developable leads with desired target binding properties. Ideal candidates will be driven by the opportunity to collaborate with teams from across the organization including early discovery, translational sciences, pre-clinical development, and CMC to build a fully integrated next generation antibody drug discovery platform that can rapidly turn biological hypothesis into a therapeutic lead molecule that is ready for clinical testing.
We’re offering a generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our facilities are nestled in the heart of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, and we will enthusiastically support you and your family to relocate to this amazing area!
How you might spend your days:
- Building and leading a high functioning team focused on the mechanistic characterization of antibodies and related protein therapeutics, to support AbCellera’s rapidly expanding pipeline of therapeutic programs
- Establishing the strategy, developing workflows and integrating new technologies to assess antibody binding properties (kinetics, affinity, epitope, mechanism of action) including both high throughput screening and in depth characterization
- Leveraging automation, data science, bioinformatics and machine learning to expand the throughput of antibody screening, including data curation, analysis and interpretation of large data sets
- Liaising with external partners, developing and executing on work plans
- Working with Discovery Biology, Protein Engineering, and Translational Science teams to develop an integrated approach for identifying lead molecules with novel binding and functional properties to progress into early development
- Coaching, mentoring, and developing talent within a rapidly growing and dynamic team
- Providing drug discovery program leadership, as well as developing more junior team members to become the next generation of project leaders
- Establishing and strengthening the interface between teams, including streamlining communication, operations, and data systems
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a builder who is passionate about developing innovative approaches to the discovery and development of biotherapeutics
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in biophysics and biotherapeutics to revolutionize the speed and quality of antibody drug discovery
- You take pride in mentoring team members to enhance their technical and project leadership skills, drive career development and maximize performance
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
Your background may include:
- A PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology or related field with an additional 10+ years of experience, with at least half of that time being in the biopharma or biotechnology industries.
- Candidates with BSc/MSc degrees and 15+ years of relevant biotech industry experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise in biotherapeutic characterization, including deep understanding of binding kinetics, affinity, epitope, and mechanism of action, using surface plasmon resonance (SPR), or orthogonal technologies such as BLI, ITC, ELISA, or kinexa
- In depth understanding of antibody sequence, structure and antigen engagement
- A keen understanding of the impact of reagent quality on assay performance, as well as familiarity with common analytical methods used for antigen QC such as analytical chromatography, mass spectrometry, and light scattering
- A track record of successful people and team leadership, with a focus on developing talent
- Demonstrated drug discovery program leadership with effective decision-making, and troubleshooting skills
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams
- Experience with scaling workflows and processes using automated liquid handlers, and laboratory information management systems (LIMS) is desired
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21168-2 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.