AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems. AbCellera has made significant news as a leader in the development of antibody therapeutics to treat COVID-19. We won’t stop with this success though, and continue to partner with industry leaders to identify therapeutics for serious diseases. With over 400 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include internal CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
The Senior Scientist will join our newly formed CMC Cell Line Development (CLD) group and be responsible for the generation of mammalian cell lines expressing therapeutic antibodies, bispecific antibodies, and other recombinant therapeutic proteins. These cell lines are used for the manufacturing of antibody therapies to support our partners’ rapid transitions from target identification to clinical testing across therapeutic areas including oncology, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, pain, neurodegeneration, and more.
The Senior Scientist will work in a high-performing, fast-paced collaborative environment, committed to ensuring the highest quality and compliance with applicable regulatory guidelines. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to have a direct impact on establishing an industry leading CLD platform leveraging cutting-edge technologies.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You are an innovator and ready to help new approaches to the discovery and development of therapeutics
- You have a strong desire to support early antibody discovery work by developing ways to improve and speed up the discovery to CMC development to GMP manufacturing paradigm
- You are ready to revolutionize therapeutic development and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
- You are highly motivated and excited about the opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
How you might spend your days:
- Contributing to AbCellera’s internal platform capabilities and procedures, including the implementation of appropriate high-throughput and automated workflows.
- Conducting end-to-end cell line development for generating recombinant CHO cell lines, including vector design and selection of stable clonal cell lines ready for cell banking.
- Training and mentoring junior CLD team members.
- Conducting lab work in accordance with appropriate quality standards and ensuring all work is fully documented in a timely manner.
- Establishing appropriate quality practices and contributing to regulatory filings.
- Working cross-functionally with our antibody assessment team and other CMC functions including upstream and downstream development, analytical and formulation teams.
- Managing your own work to ensure that agreed targets are met in a timely manner and effectively communicating results, progress, and plans.
Required qualifications and experience:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemical/Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or related discipline with 5+ years of relevant industry experience. Candidates with an MSc degrees and 8+ years of industry experience or a BSc and 10+ years of industry experience will also be considered.
- Strong molecular biology background, including expression plasmid design, cloning, plasmid extraction and purification, PCR etc.
- Strong mammalian cell culture skills with industrial suspension CHO cell lines
- Experience with single-cell cloning, automation, and high-throughput technologies as applied to industrial CHO cell line development workflows for recombinant protein manufacturing.
- Knowledge of international quality and regulatory guidelines related to cell line development.
- Experience and knowledge of a range of CMC operations within biopharmaceutical development.
- Previous experience in preparation of regulatory submissions.
- Experience in writing protocols, SOPs, policies, risk assessments etc.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Foster a positive can-do attitude with a willingness to expand skill set and responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic technical environment.
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.