AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Research Technician to generate data to answer key biological questions for the Translational Biology team. This scientist will help to build and test biological models and systems to increase confidence in the relevance of multiple targets so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic. This lab-based position is a great opportunity to establish complex functional assays that will help identify lead antibodies for ultimate clinical development. Through close collaboration across the company the scientist will contribute to the identification of the best antibodies for the program. We need someone who has a passion for immuno-oncology and how to treat these diseases. This role offers the exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s top biotech companies, while growing with a team that believes in collaboration, innovation, and mutual support.
How you might spend your days:
- Actively contributing to project execution including assay development, validation, data analysis and reporting
- Performing reagent quality control and conducting immunoassays, using flow cytometry and/or plate based readouts such as ELISA and similar methods.
- Routine handling of mammalian cell cultures including stable cell line maintenance, transient transfections, freezing and thawing cells
- Maintaining cell stocks and freezer inventories
- Preparing cell isolates from primary sources
- Preparing, labeling and making aliquots of common lab reagents
- Organizing, ordering and managing common inventory and reagents
- Organizing and maintaining lab equipment
- Supporting and collaborating with members from various teams to meet project deliverables and timelines
- Assisting in preparing and presenting data at team meetings
- Growing your technical skill set and engaging in professional development
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are able to work in a self-directed manner, demonstrate initiative, and are willing to work flexible hours
- You thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
Required qualifications and experience:
- Minimum BSc with work experience in a laboratory environment preferred, or MSc in relevant field (may include but not limited to Cell Biology, Immunology, Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Health Sciences)
- Strong background in cell and tissue culture using sterile techniques
- Excellent communication skills and problem solving
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- (Optional, but desired) Experience in flow cytometry, and/or in vitro assays focused on immune cells
- (Optional, but desired) Experience in lab organization and basic equipment maintenance
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220096 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.