AbCellera is a nimble, energetic, and quickly growing tech company that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are not afraid of challenges and together we tackle tough problems.
Our Translational Research organization is seeking a highly motivated, hands-on, collaborative leader to focus on addressing key biological questions and solutions, primarily in Immunology and Oncology. This position will help shape the strategy and organization for the Translational Research team to enable us to select optimal lead molecules with our partners. We need someone who has a passion for understanding human disease. The ideal candidate has experience working with human samples and understands how they can be used to answer relevant biological questions. This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will collaborate closely with our partners to help them rapidly advance optimal therapeutics.
How you might spend your days:
- Evaluating available preclinical and clinical data sets to build testable biological hypotheses
- Designing, running, and interpreting complex biological experiments to increase confidence in biological mechanisms and support lead candidate selection
- Collaborating with teams across the company including Discovery, protein engineering, and protein sciences to generate and interpret data
- Training and mentoring research scientists
- Evaluating new technology to improve and invent new processes
- Preparing and authoring key findings to support data-driven decision making
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You can contribute to building data sets that help to predict the success of therapies for autoimmune disease and oncology patients by designing experiments that test the biological mechanisms of key targets. This effort ultimately helps our partners move faster and more successfully.
- You are excited about leading and collaborating to build a team that works on complicated biological questions
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Immunology, Oncology, or related field and 12-15+ years of experience, including 8+ years of experience in industry and 5+ years in a leadership role
- Experience in mentoring, managing and developing high-performing teams of scientists
- Experience in selecting lead antibodies for regulatory submission and building the data sets to support these selections
- Demonstrated understanding and capabilities using large and complex data sets, often from clinical sources
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of complex data
Bonus points if you have:
- Supported preclinical development of biologics and helped to generate data that supported their clinical development
- Designed and interpreted translationally relevant animal models
- Written formal reports and regulatory documents with interpretations based on data you generated in complex biological systems to build mechanistic confidence in a target
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 20238 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.