AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to the characterization of therapeutic protein binding interactions, to join our multidisciplinary team. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated and self-directed scientist, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antibody engineering, advanced mammalian cell systems, and molecular research supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership in the characterization of antibody and other protein binding interactions including kinetics, affinity, epitope, and mechanism of action, supporting program advancement and platform development
- Prioritizing and planning the execution of SPR, BLI, ELISA or other molecular interaction requests, as well as improving request management and communication systems
- Coaching, mentoring, and developing talent within a growing and dynamic team
- Stay scientifically current, driving innovation, and implementing new technologies and workflows to expand and automate the characterization of antibody binding properties, including leveraging data science and machine learning
- Leading the development and implementation of standard operating procedures
- Liaising with partners and communicating project updates and deliverables
- Driving strong collaboration and communication across teams in early Discovery, Bioinformatics, Protein Engineering, Translational, and CMC
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a builder who is passionate about developing innovative approaches to the discovery and development of biotherapeutics
- You are strongly self-motivated and can identify project needs and implement solutions
- You are enthusiastic about applying your leadership and technical expertise to revolutionize the speed and quality of antibody therapeutic discovery
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies to improve the throughput and depth of characterizing protein binding interactions
- You take pride in investing time to mentor team members to enhance their skills and drive career development and high performance
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology or related field with an additional 8-10+ years of industrial or postdoctoral experience
- Demonstrated expertise in biotherapeutic binding characterization, including deep understanding of binding kinetics, affinity, epitope, and mechanism of action, using SPR and other orthogonal methods such as BLI, ITC, ELISA, or kinexa
- Ability to lead, mentor and support career development for a dynamic team
- Ability to analyze large data sets and interpret and communicate data in the context of broader project objectives
- Excellent documentation, organizational and communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Familiarity with analytical and biophysical methods such as HPLC, light scattering, mass spectrometry, DSF, DSC would be preferred
- Experience with the use of automation and liquid handlers would be an asset
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21168 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.