AbCellera is breaking the barriers of conventional antibody discovery to bring better medicines to patients, sooner. Our engine integrates expert teams, technology, and facilities with the data science and automation needed to propel antibody-based medicines from target to clinic with precision and speed.
We are looking for an Automation Engineer to work with our clinical manufacturing team. In this role, based in beautiful Vancouver, Canada, you will be responsible for participating in the automation design and commissioning process, generating qualification protocols, and maintaining the validated state of systems and processes in our new GMP facility, with the goal of producing first-in-class and best-in-class antibody therapeutics for patients.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You are self-motivated and passionate about identifying and solving problems on a daily basis
- You have a bias towards innovation over industry standards
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in advancing information technology and operating technology within manufacturing operations
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate and excel at working with users to clearly define what they want from an automation system
- Your ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines is a strength
How you might spend your days
- Overseeing the automation design and commissioning process, generating qualification protocols, and maintaining the validated state of systems and processes
- Providing technical input to automation impacting projects and supporting the start-up and commissioning of automation and critical process utility systems
- Supporting the identification and investigation of deviations, development of CAPAs, change control activities and evaluating and recommending automation upgrades to existing equipment or systems
- Supporting the plant that operates 24x7 by troubleshooting issues in real time and providing potential automation solutions for manufacturing and quality teams to assess in order to keep production moving forward while maintaining quality standards
- Working with Process Development, Manufacturing Science and Technology and others to support the tech transfer playbook moving drug candidates from pilot plant to manufacturing scales with speed and precision
- Participating in the planning and execution of Operation Technology software maintenance activities
- Sharing your knowledge and experience with other members of the organization
- Leading or participating in the delivery of automation capital works projects through the lifecycle of an operating manufacturing plant
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS in engineering, computer science or equivalent engineering discipline, 5+ years of automation system experience, and 2+ years relevant biopharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience with Rockwell Automation software and hardware
- Experience with cGMP/GMP, data integrity, computer system validation, safety principles and working within a regulated industry
- Knowledge of process, utility and building control systems, GMP guidelines and qualification experience related to control and computer systems
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Experience with Building Automation & HVAC control systems is an asset.
- Experience with Rockwell PlantPAx plants is an asset
- Experience with Cytiva UNICORN software is an asset
- Experience with biopharmaceutical manufacturing, cell culture, and defining class-based modules is an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of ISA standards regarding Batch Control (ISA-88), Alarm Management (ISA-18.2), Industrial Cybersecurity (ISA-99) and Enterprise-Control System Integration (ISA-95) is an asset
What we offer
AbCellera’s hiring range for this role is $94,000 - $118,000 CAD annually, commensurate with your education and job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. We base our salary ranges on localized market data ensuring competitive compensation. In addition to base salary, we offer equity, annual bonus dependent on team and company performance, and 6% (non-match) RRSP contribution.
At AbCellera, we have a number of initiatives to support AbCellerites in maximizing their work-life synergy. You will have a $1,500 annual active lifestyle allowance, annual vacation, opportunity for flexible work arrangements, professional development opportunities, and comprehensive health benefits. Scientific and technical mentorship is a priority. Abundant team and social groups to build community and connections within AbCellera are a given.
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re an ambitious company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success.