AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyses natural immune systems to find antibodies that can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated Data Scientist/ LIMS specialist to lead the integration and development of applications and software supporting our multidisciplinary antibody characterisation team in our new location at Chesterford Research Park, UK.
As a member of a highly collaborative team, this position will play a key role in configuring AbCellera UK’s laboratory data management and electronic lab notebook reporting system to support efficient data management and traceability, effective information sharing across global locations, as well as accurate data capture from scientific workflows. The successful candidate will interact with a diverse team, liaising between wet-lab scientists, software engineers and data scientists in a fast-paced and focused environment. The candidate is expected to be able to multitask, problem-solve, think critically and demonstrate scientific rigor.
How you might spend your days
- Configuring and supporting implementation of laboratory data management systems including ELNs, sample registries, LIMS and other tools
- Implementing and maintaining appropriate data management and collaboration workflows (typically in Python) to ensure traceability and integrity of data
- Generating data analysis templates, providing solutions and making recommendations for the collation and comparison of large datasets
- Collaborating with scientists to develop standard protocols to execute and capture results from medium and high throughput experiments
- Developing processes and tools for inventory management of experimental samples and reagents
- Coordinating with different scientific, business and software teams to develop strategies for data analysis, curation, storage, presentation & interpretation
- Organizing, supporting and collaborating with other team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are passionate about the integration and application of LIMS based systems to enable the tracking and analysis of complex data, and are able to communicate best practice to interdisciplinary teams
- You have experience using and developing processes and tools that integrate with an ELN system
- You have experience in complex data analysis and integration, and the curiosity and drive to learn about new applications in the life sciences
- You have experience with high throughput and/or IND-enabling scientific workflows
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment and coordinating with your team to juggle multiple competing priorities
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
Required qualifications and experience
- PhD or MSc in life sciences, engineering, computer science or other technical field plus 3+ years relevant work experience
- Experience working in biotechnology laboratories
- Experience with laboratory data management systems (e.g., ELNs, registries, LIMS, LIS)
- Some experience / exposure to programming languages like Python and SQL. Automation API development experience is a plus
- Familiarity with the Benchling platform is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal effectiveness and the ability to build trust and drive adoption of new data management solutions
Bonus points in you have:
- Familiarity with data analysis packages such as Prism and FlowJo
- Understanding of antibody discovery and antibody sequence analysis
- Interest in developing scientific and operational project management skills
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. This post is located at our newly refitting labs and offices in one of the beautiful science parks in the Cambridge, UK biotech hub.
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID UK-1 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.