AbCellera is breaking the barriers of conventional antibody discovery to bring better medicines to patients, sooner. Our engine integrates expert teams, technology, and facilities with the data science and automation needed to propel antibody-based medicines from target to clinic with precision and speed.
As a part of our newly created CMC organization, you will support our new process development platform from the ground up, all while leveraging cutting-edge technologies. You will be part of a team with an audacious goal: to go from discovery to fill-finish in a year.
As the Associate Scientist, you will be responsible for driving development and optimization of clinical & commercial manufacturing processes for the purification of antibodies. You will support antibody purification, including designing, planning and executing experiments, either independently or in collaboration with teammates.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are an innovator and ready to help new approaches to the discovery and development of therapeutics
- You have a strong desire to support early antibody discovery work by developing ways to improve and speed up the discovery to CMC development to GMP manufacturing paradigm
- You are ready to revolutionize therapeutic development and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
- You are highly motivated and excited about the opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
How you might spend your days:
- Using your experience in scale-up (AKTA Pilot) and/or scale-down processes to aid CMC development work
- Establishing and optimizing protocols for antibody purification/downstream processing operations, including high throughput and bench-scale production
- Engaging with multiple teams to build optimal solutions for challenges in antibody purification and production, including developing process steps to clear impurities and maximize product yield
- Benchmarking specific technologies in your own functional area to bring technology to state of the art
- Solving complex problems through analytical thinking to identify and understand alternatives using knowledge gained through formal education, experience and sound judgment
- Liaising with CMC team members and other partners, communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
Required qualifications and experience:
- M.Sc/B.Sc and 2-5 years of relevant work experience in downstream process development within a biotechnology or pharmaceutical organization
- Experience with different purification techniques such as chromatography, normal flow filtration (NFF), tangential flow filtration (TFF), and the associated instrumentation such as AKTA chromatography systems and UNICORN software
- Experience with bioanalytical assays associated with purification processes, such as SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, HPLC, etc. is highly desirable
- Demonstrated innovative thinking to devise strategies to optimize purification processes
- Superb oral and written communication skills, including presentation of complex data
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
What we offer
AbCellera’s hiring range for this role is $59,000 - $74,000, annually, commensurate with your education and job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. We base our salary ranges on localized market data ensuring competitive compensation. In addition to base salary, we offer equity, annual bonus dependent on team and company performance, and 6% (non-match) RRSP contribution.
At AbCellera, we have a number of initiatives to support AbCellerites in maximizing their work-life synergy. You will have a $1,500 annual active lifestyle allowance, annual vacation and company-wide office closures (a real value to all!), opportunity for flexible work arrangements, professional development opportunities, and comprehensive health benefits. Scientific and technical mentorship is a priority. Abundant team and social groups to build community and connections within AbCellera are a given.
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.