AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 500 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our R&D mass spectrometry capabilities in the field of biochemistry and membrane protein biochemistry.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Scientist to join our Biochemistry team at AbCellera. The Research Scientist will assist in various research and development activities including the design, implementation and execution of mass spectrometry experiments utilizing various fragmentation techniques, maintenance of mass spectrometry equipment, MS data analysis and provide expert advice to other team members. The role involves hands-on MS operation and optimization of various forms of mass spectrometry including intact mass analysis and bottom-up approaches to identify post-translational modifications.
This is a very exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies. The role is for a strong problem solver with a strong foundation in chemical proteomics or mass spectrometry and wanting to join a vibrant, driven and motivated team.
How you might spend your days:
- Designing, developing and optimizing LC-MS methodologies, including protein identification by intact mass, peptide mapping, PTM identification and peptide/protein quantification by isotopic, isobaric or label-free technologies.
- Transferring and qualifying methods for other experimental groups, including test performance monitoring/trending, and vetting scientific data integrity
- Optimizing, operating and maintaining mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Contribute MS expertise within the Biochemistry team and other organizations to improve protein QC and applications such as peptide identification and quantification.
- Publishing and communicating technical reports reflecting MS-based findings to support programs with information on protein quality, stoichiometry or modification.
- Exploring and evaluating new technologies to improve throughput, precision, accuracy, capabilities, and overall quality of methods employed.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Chemical Biology with 2+ years of experience, or MSc with 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent
- Expertise in operating, maintaining and troubleshooting LC-MS equipment as well as other instrumentation used in protein analytics
- Experience with analytical method development, qualification, technology transfer, and associated platforms (such as Xcalibur, Proteome Discoverer, Byos, etc.)
- Knowledge of LC-MS based analytics to address drug discovery questions, including protein characterization, targeted protein quantitation, PTM identification etc.
- Experience with native mass spectrometry, or structural proteomics is desirable
- General familiarity with protein electrophoresis and chemistry/biophysical methods.
- Excellent communication, planning and organizational skills
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - revolutionizing how our scientists can mine natural immune systems to discover new antibody therapies, and the scale at which they can do it. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse team of scientists, engineers, software developers, data scientists and business professionals - all working together to bring better therapies to patients.
We’re a growing company with a high-throughput tech stack and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology, it’s also about having efficient and seamless operations based on teamwork and cutting-edge tools. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators across the entire organization. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support, nurture, and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23011 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.