AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 400 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
We are seeking a Patent Associate to join our growing legal team at AbCellera. Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Patent Associate will act as the point person for all aspects of intellectual property, especially in building and defending AbCellera’s patent portfolio. This person will work closely with our legal team and will act as a liaison between our various departments on all intellectual property related activities. This is an incredible opportunity to work with colleagues across the company to create processes that are robust and support an agile company.
How you might spend your days as a member of the Legal Team:
- Drafting, filing, and prosecuting patent applications that protect AbCellera inventions and create lasting business value
- Partnering with scientists and team leaders to understand the direction of early stage research and participate in experimental planning to generate data to support IP strategy
- Developing and implementing thoughtful and creative prosecution strategies for U.S. and foreign patent portfolios to build a strong yet cost-effective global IP position
- Conducting patentability and freedom-to-operate searches, conduct searches for prior art, draft opinions, and analyze third party patent estates to identify risks and opportunities; communicate business-oriented advice regarding the results to leadership and project teams, including design solutions and risk mitigation strategies
- Partnering with outside counsel to foster long-term relationships, and manage the relationships by prioritizing and focusing the work done externally, so that AbCellera achieves cost-effective, high quality legal results
We want to hear from you if you have:
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in life sciences patent preparation and prosecution, with significant (preferably at least 50% of time) drafting and prosecution experience with large molecule therapeutics in the past 2 years
- Ability to independently manage, with the assistance of outside counsel, global patent portfolios related to antibody therapeutics, transgenic animals, microfluidics technology, and other related fields
- Active registration in good standing to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Active membership in good standing with at least one state bar
- Advanced knowledge of domestic and international intellectual property laws, regulations, and processes relating to patents
- Master’s degree in a life sciences discipline required, Ph.D. degree would be an asset
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to build constructive relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders
- Interest and curiosity in drug development
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220158 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.