AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated and accomplished Senior Research Scientist, with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to the purification/downstream processing of antibodies, to join our multi-disciplinary team. This is a role for an experienced scientist with strong expertise in developing and executing antibody purification and production processes, with a focus on bench-scale wet work. Our ideal candidate is a self-directed scientist, a team-player and potential team leader who thrives in a fast-paced, cross-functional work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s fastest growing biotechs and to contribute to our cutting-edge research and development supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal and multi-specific antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership in antibody purification, including designing, planning and executing experiments, either independently or in collaboration with teammates
- Establishing and optimizing protocols for antibody purification/downstream processing operations, including high throughput and bench-scale production
- Engaging with multiple teams to build optimal solutions for challenges in antibody purification and production, including developing process steps to clear impurities and maximize product yield
- Solving problems at a high level
- Training, mentoring, and supervising members of a dynamic team
- Liaising with CMC teams and other partners, communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies, opportunities and integrate automation to improve the antibody production workflow and process
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biological and/or Chemical Sciences (Biochemistry, or other relevant fields) and 8+ years of experience, including 5+ years of experience in industry
- Extensive experience in protein purification and downstream processing technologies, including IMAC/HIC/IEX Chromatography and Tangential Flow Filtration
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Strong knowledge of protein expression/upstream processes using transient and/or stable mammalian cell culture systems (HEK, CHO)
- Experience developing processes for robustness, scale-up and CMC progression is desired
- Knowledge of analytical technology like SEC, light scattering and thermal denaturation is an asset
- Experience with high-throughput protein expression and purification or automation is an asset
- A strong data analysis skill set and the ability to interpret, communicate, and document large data sets
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 21157 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.